- Check you fuse box for tripped breaker switch
- Reset the breaker by moving it to the full “off” position and then back to “on.”
- Check appliances. Unplug all of them in the unit. Reset breaker, plug in one appliance at a time to find the faulty appliance.
- Contact your power company to inquire if there are power outages in your neighborhood.
No Hot Water
- Check to see if hot water tank is leaking
- Check fuse box for tripped breaker switch
- If it’s a gas water heater, check to see if pilot light is out, if you can’t turn it on, call your gas provider for instructions.
Garbage Disposal Not Working
- Reset the safety switch underneath the bottom of disposal unit in sink cabinet.
- Check for blockage in the sink around the blades. Before putting your hands or utensil down the sink, make sure the unit is turned off. ** Never put these items down the disposal: chicken bones, onion peels, potato skins, and corn husk! **
Clogged or Slow Sink (without using harsh chemical drain cleaners)
- Pour a pot of boiling water down the drain, pour in ½ cup baking soda. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then pour a mixture of 1 cup white vinegar and 1 cup hot water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Flush one more time with pot of boiling water.
- For clogged bathtub and shower drains-pour boiling water down the drain to unclog hair and soap build-up.
- Use a plunger with short, quick motions. You may need rubber gloves; it can get messy!
- Pour bucket of water to clear out
Washing Machine Not Working Properly or Not at All
- Check whether the washing machine taps are turned on at the wall.
- Check if appliance at the wall is turned on.
- Check if lid is closing properly.
- Check if settings knob is pointed directly on the desired settings
- If the machine has stopped halfway through cycle you may have overloaded the machine and caused it to be out of balance. Try redistributing the wash evenly in the drum.
- Don’t overload the machine
- ONLY use laundry detergent NEVER use dishwashing detergent
Dryer is Not Working
- Dryer can automatically shut down due to overload of lint in the filter Check whether the filter needs to be cleaned out. Remember to always clean the filter out. *Failure to clean the dryer is the leading cause of dryer fires. 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and caused deaths, injuries, and millions of dollars in property loss*
Refrigerator Not Staying Cool or Freezing
- Check the thermostat to make sure it hasn’t been turned way down by mistake.
- Be sure the vents on the back of the freezer compartment aren’t blocked by boxes of ice cream or frozen food packages-the vents have to be clear for cold air to circulate.
- Vacuum the coils under or behind the fridge. Clogged coils can cause poor cooling
- Clean the seals around the refrigerator doors to keep cool air from escaping